Thursday 21 November 2013

An Interview From China ^_^

Assalamualaikum.

Am currently going trough my tough weeks in UKM.
I mean, super busy weeks. Jangan risau, iolls masih bernafas di sini. Hehe :3

So yeah. Harini kelas habis awal andddd I am just too lazy nak layan buku or kerja dekat kolej ni. Tulah jadinya mengadap incik belog ni. <3

This time, I nak share satu pengalaman.
Aku kan, actually sangat seronok bila dapat peluang untuk communicate dengan foreigner. I mean, even tough my English tak hebat mana, at least boleh la jugak praktis skill English kita tu kan. :) So far, I dah pernah borak in real dengan Philipines, Arabian, Russian,  Japanese and Pakistani. Most of these people I jumpa masa buat asasi and now, degree. Alhamdulillah, peluang Allah bagi. Tak dapat study abroad, dapat camni pun dah okay. :)

One of my lecturer mintak tolong, sesiapa nak volunteer jadi respondent untuk kajian his student yang tengah buat Master. His student is from China. Tapi now dekat UKM lah. International student la katakan. Aku pun apa lagi kan. Laju jelah. Ihiks. Bukan apa, grab the chance while you can.  ;)

Tapi kitorang buat online interview je. Guna Facebook as medium. Sebab masing-masing busy kan. And tell ya what, sangat seronok bila chat dengan orang yang ada ilmu ni. Serius. So, sini I copy paste aje interview tu. Bukan niat riak atau apa, just nak share, apa yang orang luar nak tahu daripada local student macam kita ni. ^_^

***

 Assalaam Alaikom Aine. Are you free at the moment? Could we start the interview?

Waalaikumsalam. Yes, I am. Sure, we can start it right away.

That's great. Let me start with the first question. As a Malaysian undergraduate student, are you aware of the instruction medium of Malaysian higher education is either Bahasa Malaysia or English?

As far as I concerned the instruction medium is in Bahasa Malaysia.

I see. does that mean all your subjects are taught in BM?

Not really. Because the situation here is the ministry has emphasized the usage of English since the primary school. But the stress is more onto the science subjects such as Science and Mathematics for the primary meanwhile for the secondary students, they are currently learning Science, Biology, Physics, Mathematics, Additional Mathematics and Chemistry in English. But somehow we are gradually changing the medium of instruction into Bahasa Malaysia.

Are all you subjects now taught in BM?

Some of them.

I see, Which language do you prefer to be the instruction medium of your study?

Personally, I would go for English. It will be a good preparation for the students as they are going to use English most during the tertiary level.

That sounds wise to me. Now, please tell me, which language do you prefer the most for communication (speech; writing)?

To be honest, I prefer to use Bahasa Malaysia in my communication. I don't know, maybe it's due to the environment, the surrounding. I mean, people around me are most likely to use the mother language. So every time I use English in my speech or writing, the responds and feedback would be not very encouraging. Sometimes, it does makes me feel alienated for speaking foreign language. But in the same time, I do enjoy using English for my communication. Personally, I feel proud of myself that I am able to speak and write not only in one language. It is more to self-satisfaction.

You should be proud about it. Yes, I do agree with you. Could you tell me what does BM mean to you?

BM, it is my pride. It is my soul. I love my language. :)

Wow. that's amazing, i dont know if i have the same feeling to Mandrain as I am a chinese. :) 
Where , when and how did you learn BM?

I bet you have the feeling as well. You must have experienced the longing to speak in your first language. :) 
Well, basically, I learn it since I was in my mummy's tummy. :D
My mom was an excellent Bahasa Malaysia teacher and she used to have tuition classes at our house, which she got Malay, Chinese and Indian as her students. So I listen to the use of a proper Bahasa Malaysia since I was baby. She was always there for me, guiding me especially in the language subject. I think that was how I fall for language, both Bahasa Malaysia and English. And I guess that is how I learn BM well.

Family influence, that is probably the most powerful element in language learning.
When do you usually use BM?

Indeed. I use BM all the time. Except during the classes that require English as its medium of communication.

I see, that means you like to use BM as much as possible right.

Er, yes.

Do you have the intention for improve your BM skills?

I do.

Could you tell me a little why?

Because it is my first language. So I think it is important for me to be good in BM.

How do the people of your ethnic group perceive BM? are they mostly same like you?

Not all of them. I mean, they are looking up towards BM. But if you give a deeper look, Malaysian are more into their state accent. They will only use standard BM when they are in public. I mean when they are with people from different states. Usually, they will use BM, but in their states accent.

I see. The next question sounds a little silly here, but i do need to hear it from you. Which language do you consider as the most significant identity marker for you? BM or any other languages?

Hm. I think it would be BM. Yes, I think so..

Ok, now let's talk about English. What does English mean to you?

English. English is wisdom. English is a sign of bravery. Not everyone is willing to learn English.

Yes of course. I totally agree. Do you have the intention to improve your English skills?

Of course.

Could you tell me why is that important to you?

Because I want to improve myself. And, I would like to share the knowledge to my country. Thus, I need to improve my English skills.

That's not so common for a girl like your age. Amazing. Mostly the participants talk about how English help themselves. Two last questions. What do the people around you say about someone who is fluent in English?

Maybe it is because I came from a teacher family. The passion of sharing knowledge is still there.
Well. Most of the time, they will be amused. They will look up at the person. But there is also a group of people which being mean to the person as they think that the person only showing off his/her skills in English. I personally think that this kind of people do have issues with their emotion control, because when they are making fun of people, it just show how much they are jealous of the respective people.

Agreed. In china we say "grape is soured when you cannot have it". Last one why do you choose to study in English/BM?

Whoa, a new proverb for me! Thanks! :D

I do actually choose to study in both language. I don't mind. Because i I just love language and I think it would be a great deal for me to acquiring both BM and English as it would be a benefit; English will be much helpful if I am going abroad or dealing with foreigners(like what I'm doing right now) and BM for sure, within Malaysia or even when I am communicate which foreigner who would like to learn BM.

Alright, that's it. Thanks very much Aine. Sorry that it took you a bit linger. Hope that doesn't bother you too much. I really enjoyed the chat. I got a lot of good points from you which are all very helpful for my study.
Thanks again. May Allah reward you for helping my dear sister.
Have a good night.

My pleasure. Best of luck with your project. :)
Assalamualaikum.

woalaikomsalam.

***

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment